Identity of Arlington shooting suspect confirmed

ARLINGTON — The Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office has confirmed that the suspect in the Sunday, Sept. 2, shooting on Jim Creek Road near Arlington is 60-year-old Robert Edward Endrizzi, and the Medical Examiner determined that Endrizzi's cause of death was multiple gunshot wounds.

Snohomish County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Shari Ireton had already deemed it likely that the suspected sniper was himself shot by a member of the SWAT team that responded to his shooting in the wooded Arlington neighborhood.

The Snohomish County Multiple Agency Response Team is still working to determine the suspect's motive and their detectives are still investigating the incident, but they have confirmed the following information:

On the afternoon of Sept. 2, a 20-year-old man was outside with his family at the 17000 block of Jim Creek Road when he heard what sounded like gunshots. The man sent his family inside the house for safety, and was struck by a bullet in the leg a few minutes later. He went inside and called 911 at approximately 1:30 p.m. He was later treated at a nearby hospital and released.

Around this time, another man and his wife were driving in the same area when their car was struck by several bullets, one of which shattered a window. The couple drove to the Jim Creek Naval Radio Station, where they reported the shooting to guards at the gate. Also around this time, a different man was driving in the same area, and his car was also struck by bullets. No one in either vehicle reported any serious injuries.

It was at this time that Snohomish County Sheriff's deputies arrived in response to the 911 call from the gunshot wound victim, and were shot at by the suspect. The Sheriff's Office SWAT Team was deployed and a call went out for backup from nearby law enforcement agencies. More than 100 officers from various agencies ended up responding to the scene.

A call from the Department of Emergency Management went out around 2:30 p.m. to residents in the area, asking them to stay inside and away from any windows.

SWAT Team officers were fired upon by the suspect and returned fire. No law enforcement personnel were injured during the incident.

At approximately 4:30 p.m., it was confirmed that the suspect was deceased and one weapon, a Ruger .22 caliber rifle, was recovered. Law enforcement personnel continued searching the area for other suspects, which took several hours due to the size and terrain of the property. At approximately 11:30 p.m., the area was secured and residents were allowed to return home.

Snohomish County Undersheriff Tom Davis has confirmed that two officers from the Sheriff's Office have been placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure when there is a possible-officer involved shooting.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.