News

Early morning fire destroys home, cars

A two-story house was destroyed and four cars were damaged by a fire that started early Saturday morning south of the Arlington Airport. -
A two-story house was destroyed and four cars were damaged by a fire that started early Saturday morning south of the Arlington Airport.
— image credit:

ARLINGTON Arlington firefighters were called to a fire at 3:42 a.m., Saturday morning.
A two-story house and four cars in the driveway were in flames when the firefighters arrived at 3:49 a.m., at the 5200 block of 170th Pl. NE, just south of the Arlington Airport, according to the city of Arlingtons assistant administrator, Kristin Banfield.
The house was fully involved in flames when the firefighters arrived, Banfield said.
All seven occupants in the home at the time of the fire were evacuated safely, Banfield said. The two residents who were transported to Cascade Valley Hospital with minor injuries were treated and released.
It is suspected that the familys dog died in the fire.
Firefighters fought the fire until about 6:30 a.m., according to Support 46 member Kelly Penny.
In addition to Arlington Fire Department, resources were brought in from Arlington Heights (Fire District No. 21); Getchell (Fire District No. 22); Marysville Fire District No. 12; and North County Fire and EMS (Fire District No. 18, Bryant).
Penny said that Support 46 kept the family warm in their rigs and called the Red Cross to assist them with housing and other needs.
They are much better prepared than us to respond to situations like this, Penny said. She mentioned that the residents of the house had friends visiting from California and that they were able to find places to stay with other family and friends in the area.
Red Cross provided vouchers for them to replace their basic needs.
Penny said she and Support 46 stayed around the scene to help the firefighters.
We helped by keeping the firefighters hydrated and nourished with energy bars, Penny said.
There were about 30 firefighters and they worked really hard, she said.
Banfield reported the suspected cause of the fire was a portable heater that was placed too close to pet bedding and to the exterior of the house.
The house was a complete loss its value was estimated at $225,000.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.