News

Smokey Point fire evacuates senior housing, no lives lost

This self-cleaning oven, which had its cleaning mechanism engaged, was the source of a Feb. 5 apartment fire on Smokey Point Boulevard. - Photo courtesy of Kristen Thorstenson
This self-cleaning oven, which had its cleaning mechanism engaged, was the source of a Feb. 5 apartment fire on Smokey Point Boulevard.
— image credit: Photo courtesy of Kristen Thorstenson

SMOKEY POINT — Marysville Fire District personnel responded to a commercial structure fire at at 3:05 p.m. Feb. 5 at 18330 Smokey Point Blvd. in Arlington.

When they arrived, they found most of the residents of the senior housing apartment at that address had already evacuated the building, and no smoke was visible.

In the apartment, flames were coming from the stove. Crews rapidly extinguished the fire with a pressurized water extinguisher, and the fire was contained to the stove.

One resident was displaced and is staying with family. The fire caused approximately $3,000 worth of smoke damage to the apartment.

"The lesson here is to get out, stay out and call 9-1-1," said Kristen Thorstenson, public education specialist and public information officer for the Marysville Fire District. "They did that. Don't try and fight the fire, and check your smoke alarms monthly. This apartment's working smoke alarms helped get its residents evacuated."

Thorstenson noted that residential fires are more likely during the winter, due to cooking and heating.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.