Snohomish sneaks off with 6-3 victory in game two of doubleheader with Rapids

The Stilly Rapids, needing only a win in game two over Snohomish to clinch a birth in districts, certainly had plenty to play for in their July 7 clash. After Kyle Ayers led the team to victory in game one, all momentum sided with the Rapids. Unfortunately game two would not go nearly as smoothly.
Jeff Huge took the mound for Stilly, now the visitors and got roughed up early by Snohomish. Huge conceded four hits in the bottom half of the first inning, including a double to put Snohomish up 2-0.
If not for an excellent, heads up play from firstbaseman Jake Stalkfleet it could have been worse. With runners on the corners and no outs, Huge attempted to pick off the Snohomish runner on first base. That runner bolted for second base as Stalkfleet had a decision to make. He chose to throw home as the runner on third raced down the baseline. Stalkfleets throw beat the runner by a slim margin, enough for Jerod Baker to apply a tag and get a key out for the Rapids. From then on, Huge settled down and kept Stilly in the game.
Stilly managed to get right back into the game in the fourth inning, trailing 2-0. Tony Geist singled and Collin Murphy got hit by a pitch. The pair then pulled off an impressive double steal to put runners on second and third base. Both Jerod Baker and Jon Brown struck out trying to score the runners, before Derek Grafenauer came through with a two RBI single.
In the bottom half of the fourth inning, spectators in attendence got to witness the best catch of the summer, if not the year, for Snohomish county baseball. A Snohomish batter ripped into a Jeff Huge fastball, belting it deep into right field. Jon Brown watched the ball hit the bat and immediately began sprinting back toward the fence. On a dead sprint, without even looking back for the ball, Brown hustled as the flying orb began sinking near the warning track in the outfield. At the last second Brown swung his head to the left, but the ball was nowhere to be found on that side of his body. By some miracle of instinct Brown twisted back around to the right just as the ball fell in over his shoulder and into his extended mitt. It made Willie Mays catch at the Polo Grounds look very mundane.
Huge managed to use that positive momentum to retire the next two batters. But back on the mound in the fifth inning Huge began to tire. He gave up three runs on two singles and a triple before being replaced by Chris Wendland. Wendland got Stilly out of the inning, but the damage had been done.
Both teams tacked on a run in the seventh inning, making the final score 6-3. It was a tough loss for Stilly who still has yet to clinch a spot in districts. The team has three league games remaining to do so.

At Arlington:

Stilly Rapids 0 0 0 2 0 1
Snohomish 2 0 0 0 3 1

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.