Everett skunks Eagles

Kristen Allen scoots away from an Everett midfielder but it was all Everett on this night as they won easily 2-0. -
Kristen Allen scoots away from an Everett midfielder but it was all Everett on this night as they won easily 2-0.
— image credit:

The Arlington Eagles girls soccer team came out flat and stayed that way during their match against Everett. Missing a good opportunity to stoke their playoff chances against 3A competition, the Eagles misfired on their few chances and wound up suffering a 2-0 defeat to a motivated, energetic Seagull squad.
Erin Taylor had a good chance to put Arlington in front just minutes into the game, but the junior midfielder missed wide right on a shot from 12 yards. From that moment on, Everett took control of the first half, weaving passes between players and controlling the majority of possession. Coach Nathan Davis could only watch as his team ran ragged around the midfield, scrambling to keep up.
After 16 minutes of intense pressure, the Arlington defense cracked. A long cross to the far post beat all the Eagle defenders and goalkeeper Ginny Wilson had little chance to save the well-placed shot.
Everett continued to pressure throughout the first half, giving Arlington little room to attack. Sweeper Samantha Coy was tested throughout and did a good job keeping the score within reach as she managed to clear a number of chances out of Arlingtons end.
In the second half it was more of the same for the Eagles, as they could not mount any serious threat on goal. A disheartening second goal by Everett five minutes into the half effectively put an end to the Eagles hopes.
Arlington did muster a good scoring opportunity in the 51st minute. A cross from Kristina Longosky found a seam in the middle of the defense. A charging Everett goalkeeper made a play on the ball just as forward Becca Wadey came sliding in. Both Wadey and the goalkeeper missed the ball by inches as it squirted past them to the far post. Racing in behind the play was Taylor who managed to get a foot on the ball in front of an open goal. But Taylor could not keep the ball down and it hit the crossbar while the Seagull defense scrambled to recover.
It was all downhill from there for the Eagles as they struggled to keep pressure forward. The overtaxed defense did a good job of preventing further Seagull scoring but the Eagles did not mount much of a threat in the attack.
The Eagles face Monroe on Oct. 18 in their next match.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.