Sedro-Woolley holds off Arlington

Kristina Longosky defends in the midfield for the Eagles. Arlingtons defense played strong all night, save one unfortunate play. -
Kristina Longosky defends in the midfield for the Eagles. Arlingtons defense played strong all night, save one unfortunate play.
— image credit:

In what looked to be a sure victory, the Arlington Eagles girls soccer team lost to Sedro-Woolley Lady Cubs Oct. 30 at Mount Vernon in the district playoffs.
The final score 1-0 barely tells of the frustrating night for Arlington, who spent most of the game in the attacking portion of the field, but could not push through for any goals.
The Eagles came out fired up right from the opening whistle and pressured the Cubs. Morgan Galusha fired a laser shot from the right wing 10 minutes in that made for a tough catch for the Sedro-Woolley keeper.
It was Arlington doing all the attacking as four minutes later Amanda Wreggelsworth took a bouncing pass back in the midfield and drilled a shot from 30 yards out but again it was caught by the Cubs goalie.
Galusha continued to push forward along the right side, winning a throw-in for the Eagles at the 19 minute mark. From the throw, Becca Wadey found herself with enough room to get another Arlington shot off, but again it was directed at the goalkeeper.
In the 23rd minute Arlington managed one of their best opportunities of the game. A weaving Kristen Allen in midfield found Kristina Longosky up front behind the Cubs defense. Longosky squared up and fired a low line drive that deflected underneath a sprawled out Cub goalkeeper. The ball trickled toward the net as the goakeeper scrambled to recover it. The Eagles could not get there in time to tap the ball in as Sedro-Woolley dodged a major bullet.
Longosky nearly scored again eight minutes later when a Wreggelsworth corner kick wrapped around in front of the goal. Longosky moved forward to put a head on the ball, but was nudged out of the way by the determined goalkeeper.
Before the end of the first half Arlington squandered another chance when Allen set up Wadey on the left side of the field. Allen dodged several would-be tacklers on her way through the middle. She fed a ball to Wadey who put a good foot on it, directing it hard but wide of the goal.
The teams went into halftime tied 0-0 with Arlington producing all the chances on goal. But the second half was unkind to the Eagles as 10 minutes in, a Sedro-Woolley forward turned on the defense near the 18-yard mark, took one step, and fired a missile into the back of the net. The 1-0 lead would prove to be all the Cubs needed as they played defense for the rest of the game.
The Eagles kept producing opportunities, but no goals. In the 50th minute, Jessica VanLoo was tackled from behind on a semi-break 25 yards from goal. The Eagles pushed everybody forward, hoping for an equalizer. But the kick went high over the bar and the chance went for naught.
Three minutes later it looked like Arlington might have scored to tie the game. But Jordan Taylor was ruled offsides by the linesman and Sedro-Woolley escaped yet again. Arlington got its last big chances of the game around the 73 minute mark. A free kick from Samantha Coy 30 yards out smacked into the Sedro-Woolley wall, then moments later Galusha drove another bending shot from near the sideline, but it was snared by the keeper.
As the time ticked away, Arlington pushed everybody forward to search for opportunities, but Sedro-Woolley could not be budged. The Cubs held on for a 1-0 victory at Arlingtons expense.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Sep 24
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.