MARYSVILLE – An 88-year-old man died Wednesday from injuries suffered in a mobile home fire.
Two other people were treated for minor smoke inhalation after the fire in the Crystal Tree Village mobile home park at 16600 25th Ave. NE.
Neighbors called 9-1-1 to report smoke coming from the home just before 9:30 a.m. Wednesday. Three neighbors helped rescue the only person inside the structure, the 88-year-old man. Marysville Fire District paramedics transported the man to the hospital within minutes but he did not survive. Two of the neighbors who rescued him, a man and woman in their 70s, were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. No one else was injured.
The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office believes the cause of the fire was smoking materials. The Marysville Fire District and Marysville police are assisting in the investigation due to its severity.
The mobile home is a total loss with damage estimated at $100,000. Snohomish County Fire District 22 Getchell, Arlington and North County Regional Fire Authority firefighters provided mutual aid.
Marysville Fire District will be partnering with the Red Cross to install smoke alarms at several area mobile home parks over the next several weeks. A previously scheduled smoke alarm installation will take place at Crystal Tree Village May 5. A properly working smoke alarm increases your odds of surviving a fire, Christie Veley of the district says in a news release. The district recommends installing a smoke alarm on every level of a home, in every bedroom and outside each sleeping area. Test all smoke alarms at least once a month, the release adds.