Prosecutor: Arlington teen wanted bomb ‘mayhem’ not injuries

  • Saturday, November 2, 2019 1:30am
  • News

By Zachariah Bryan

ARLINGTON — A teen who set off a pipe bomb in a bathroom at Arlington High School said he didn’t want to hurt anyone, charging papers say — he just wanted to cause “mayhem and disorder.”

School staff said they heard a “loud bang” around 8:30 a.m. Oct. 22. Smoke spewed out of a bathroom, and a school resource officer reported finding an explosive device that looked like a white pipe with one end blown off.

The campus went into lockdown as Arlington police investigated. Students were transported by bus to a nearby middle school, where they were released to go home.

Officers found a possible suspect after reviewing security footage. The suspect, a junior at the school, told officers he acted alone. Staff searched him and reportedly found a green-handled kitchen knife.

The student said he had been bullied and had broken up with a girlfriend over the summer. Previously, he said, he thought about bringing knives and throwing stars to school to stab other students, papers say. He said he tested the “sharpness, quality and condition” of the knives. He claimed to know where the major human organs were, so he wouldn’t kill anyone, prosecutors wrote.

The teenager said he had been learning how to make pipe bombs on the internet since before his sophomore year. He reportedly used more than 100 sparklers in the bomb he set off in the bathroom. On Aug. 26, he posted a photo of what appeared to be an explosive on his Instagram account, captioned “time to make a bomb.”

The boy said he was “triggered” by an argument with his ex-girlfriend on Oct. 21, and decided to set in motion plans to bring a pipe bomb to school.

He scouted locations around the school where he thought the explosive wouldn’t harm anyone, he reportedly said.

The morning of Oct. 22, the student placed the pipe bomb underneath a toilet in a handicap stall then went to class, prosecutors wrote. He returned a half-hour later. Nobody else was in the bathroom. So, he reportedly said, he lit the fuse and walked out.

On the way back to class, the boy said he heard a muffled explosion. He recalled purposefully flinching, so his reaction seemed normal.

He claimed he didn’t make any more bombs. But the Washington State Patrol Interagency Bomb Squad obtained a search warrant for his house and reportedly found two more — one was a black pipe bomb larger than the one found at the school, the other was a soccer ball packed with fireworks.

More in News

Plans stall for cold weather shelter in Arlington

ARLINGTON – Just when it looked like Arlington’s homeless might have a… Continue reading

Legislative briefly

$30 car tabs As Initiative 976, the car tabs measure approved by… Continue reading

Marysville boundary plan re-routes grade schoolers

MARYSVILLE – A boundary committee has recommended that seven of the 10… Continue reading

Sidney Dale Traulsen

February 20, 1957 — December 30, 2019

In Marysville, Chick-fil-A is on its way

MARYSVILLE – Chick-fil-A is on its way. City planning director Jeff Thomas… Continue reading

Steve Powell/Staff Photo
                                Dean Ledford gets signs ready to be picked up by volunteers.
Here’s your sign: Volunteers try to help Marysville pass school levy

MARYSVILLE — Dean Ledford is not giving up. Ledford, a 1954 graduate… Continue reading

Marysville breaks ground on Civic Campus

MARYSVILLE – The city officially broke ground on its new $47.6 million… Continue reading

Arlington councilman resigns

ARLINGTON – City Council member Joshua Roundy announced his resignation for personal… Continue reading

Arlington, Marysville, Port of Everett sign pact to grow Cascade Industrial Center together

ARLINGTON – Elected officials from the cities of Arlington, Marysville and the… Continue reading

Most Read